Saturday, March 02, 2013

To the Moon [Indie Game]



You probably know "To the Moon" as the game that makes people cry. I found out about it from various gaming sites because its story is constantly praised for its originality and its ability to tug your heart strings. I dismissed it for quite awhile, but I finally decided to give it a try yesterday. And...

Yeah, I totally teared up. Cried like a bitch. I'm usually prone to emotional things, but this game was especially sad. Sometimes it felt like the game tried too hard to make us cry, but I appreciated how interesting and dramatic the story was. It is definitely original, and filled with shocking twists.


The game is kind of tedious to play, however. At times it felt like the game wasn't even necessary; all you really end up doing is move from one point to another. You solve the occasional puzzle, but most of your time will be spent watching the story unfold. While I didn't mind this, it was definitely a bit of a drag at times.

The graphics are typical of RPG Maker 16-bit games, so don't expect much. The music is excellent, however. It's one of the highlights of "To the Moon"; there's even a vocal song made just for this game. If you're into excellent, emotional stories, then you should definitely give this game a try. It's only a 4 hour game, and you'll be coasting along the way. Just don't expect anything more than that, and be prepared to shed some manly tears.


Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. Yup. I'm totally in love with this game. The music itself is enough to make me cry! Although the story starts from the end, it doesn't make the plot boring at all! Rather, it made me even more sad because I know what kind of consequences the characters' actions will bring. I do agree that many parts of the game felt unnecessary. They should have made this into a film or a novel. Very original and great story. Looking forward to its sequel sometime this year!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin